SUNRISE Shell Necklaces| #38
- SOLD OUT! A- 11” Length 1 1/4” x 1 1/4” Shell, Light Brown Wood Backing, Silver Chain #36
- SOLD OUT!B- 10 1/4” Length 1 1/4” x 1” Shell, Dark Brown Wood Backing, Pink Gold Chain #37
- C- 10 1/2” Length 1 1/4” x 1” Shell, Light Brown Wood Backing, Pink Gold #38
- Handmade Wood Backing
- Introducing our stunning rare and very unique Hawaiian Sunrise Shell Neck Leis. SUNRISE SHELLS are unique in its original natural color NEVER stained or painted. They get their name because of their beautiful colorechoing the sky in a magnificent Hawaii sunrise.
- They are often found at first light on the beach, when they glow under the luminescent clouds. They were once found abundantly on the shores of several Hawaiian beaches on Kauai and the North Shore where my Uncle found many of these treasures. However, due to their increased demand, they are typically found only at depths from around 10 to 30 feet where collectors must dive for them.
- Our entire collection was hand-made in Hawaii by my Uncle Chick each one using a “Ukulele” making technique by backing and finishing each Shell with a variety of woods.
- Usually, the scallops, known as Langford’s Pectens, can fetch up to over $200. They become even more valuable when they have lush hints of green and blue. These shells of the same species are called “Moonrise” due to their even less common, darker appearance. This tremendous range of color variation is based on different factors like at what ocean depths the creatures lived and what foods they may be been exposed to.
- I am very proud to share these exclusive Sunrise Shell Necklaces, endemic to Hawai‘i and only found in waters surrounding the islands.
- Known as "Hawaii's Diamonds" these once exclusive Gems of the Sea, are truly part of Hawaiian culture and history.
- Ancient legend suggests that Sunrise Shells were the exclusive property and thought to be sacred which only Hawaiian Royal Kings, Queens Princes and Princesses were worthy of.
- When you acquire a truly amazing Neck-Lei a rare delight which offer their wearers protection and power that goes back thousands of years in Hawaii's rich history.